American Citizen Services


Do you need to pay U.S. taxes? 

If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad.  Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.  For more information, visit the Federal Benefits and Obligations

Are you prepared for an emergency?

We encourage all U.S. citizens to register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and have a copy of important phone numbers handy and/or pre-programmed into their phones. Keep all your important documents in a safe place and make copies.  Apply for your passport early.

Local Resources for U.S. Citizens  

PASSPORTS—Traveling for the holidays?  Don’t be turned around at the airport! 

Remember to check your passport expiration dates and apply for your passports early!  The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit provides passport services from 8:00 to 10:30 a.m., Monday – Friday.  All passport applications must be presented in person at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas.  Visit our website for more information:

Notary services

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Caracas conducts notary services from 1:00 to 2:00 pm every business day except Wednesday.  We only notarize documents that will be used in the United States.  Please note that the embassy cannot certify or apostille any U.S. document for use in Venezuela or other countries.

 Federal Benefits and Social Security  

The U.S. Embassy assists U.S. citizens and others who are entitled to federal benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA), the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) in its Federal Benefits Unit (FBU).  The FBU accepts walk-in applications or questions every Wednesday from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.  You may also call FBU at 0212-975-8251 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. with questions.  Visit our website at:

Want to invest in the U.S.?

An E-2 visa is a treaty investment visa for certain people who wish to live and work temporarily in the United States.   Venezuelan nationals who hold citizenship with a Treaty Country, such as Spain or Italy, may qualify for an E-2 visa.

Are you a U.S. Citizen?

Could you be? Did you know some of the ways one could become a U.S. citizen include:

1)    Being born in the United States

2)    Acquiring citizenship through U.S. parents

3)    Naturalizing after becoming a permanent resident

4)    Marrying a U.S. Citizen

5)    Joining the U.S. military

Visit the U.S. Embassy American Citizen Services website to see how we can help you determine if you are a U.S. Citizen

Be absent, but be counted.

The U.S. Presidential Election will occur Tuesday, November 8, 2016. Did you know you could vote from Venezuela if you are a citizen?  The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is designed to help U.S. citizens abroad vote and understand their electoral rights.  Please visit the FVAP website at for more information.

Need U.S. passport or notarial services in Caracas?

Do you have children that attend ECA?  Members from the U.S. Embassy will be at the Escuela Campo Alegre (ECA) on Calle Cinta, Caracas on Thursday, October 22, 2015 from 2:30pm – 4:30pm  to provide passport and notarial services, and answer any questions you may have.  Please contact the American Citizen Services section at for more information.

U.S. Citizen—Are you being notified?

Enroll in STEP and get a free gift at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas!  STEP is the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.  It is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  You can receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions and emergencies in your destination.  Get travel alerts and warnings to your email or text message.  Sign up today to stay informed, connected, and safe!

Need more than 6 month validity to travel with your passport?

Apply for your Passports early!  Review the entry/exit requirements for your destination and check when your passport will expire.  Many countries require that U.S. passports have at least 6 months validity.  Apply for or renew your passport at: U.S. passport